Article by: Jeremy Kelsey
In order to determine whether your gutters need to be repaired, you have to keep an eye out for certain signs. Your gutter system — which can include gutter covers — has a very important job: protecting your home from water buildup and damage (especially the foundation). Leaky gutters can cause all sorts of problems, such as flooding, foundation damage and/or mold growth.
Evaluate Your Gutters
There are certain questions you should ask when evaluating your gutters. The answers to these questions will help you determine if your gutters are having problems:
- Is water leaking from the gutter system?
- Have you noticed visible damage, such as cracks in the gutters or sections that are pulling away from the house?
- Are there water stains on the fascia?
- Does water spill over your gutters when it rains heavily?
- Do large pools of water form around your foundation when it storms?
- Are there nails protruding from or popping out of the gutters?
- Have you detected things in your gutters that shouldn’t be there, such as plants or animal nests?
Signs Your Gutters Are Failing
The previous examples given, which are specific to the gutter system itself, are usually easy to see and identify. There may be subtler issues in other areas in and around your house that have gone unnoticed, however, which could also indicate that your gutters are leaking or even failing. These signs include:
- Pools of water or flooding in the basement.
- Cracks in the sidewalk, driveway or foundation.
- Lines on the ground beneath the gutters.
- Paint flaking off your home’s exterior (a sign of ongoing water leakage).
- The rotting of exterior wooden components/structures, such as windowsills, garage doors or the deck.
Contact the Professionals at Gutter Helmet for Assistance
If you think that your gutters may be having issues, you need to call in the professionals right away. Leaving any of the aforementioned problems unaddressed will likely result in the need for bigger, more expensive repairs. In addition, you can learn how Gutter Helmet® gutter guards will help protect your gutters. Call Gutter Helmet at (800) 824-3772 or contact us online to schedule a free repair estimate or for questions about cleaning gutters with gutter guards or other maintenance concerns.