Article by: Jeremy Kelsey
If more homeowners understood the correct method for cleaning out their gutters, far fewer people would suffer injury while performing this common home maintenance task. According to statistics shared by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 90,000 emergency room visits occur as a result of ladder-related injuries every year. Over the last 10 years, this number has increased by 50%.
How to Safely Clean Out Your Gutters
The key to a safe gutter cleaning experience is knowing what precautions you need to take to protect yourself and your home.
- Practice ladder safety. Before you begin, let someone nearby know you’ll be cleaning your gutters. Then get a sturdy ladder and inspect it for defects, dents and loose parts before climbing it. A four-legged stepladder is an ideal choice for a one-story structure, while an extension ladder works best for a home with two or more stories.
- Protect your hands and eyes. Gloves will protect your hands from cuts caused by metal gutters or sharp screws. Gloves also shield your hands from exposure to bacteria-laden debris. Safety glasses or goggles are another must to protect your eyes from flying debris while you’re on the ladder.
- Wear rubber-soled shoes. When you’re moving up and down a ladder, and especially if it’s necessary to walk on the roof, it’s important to wear rubber-soled shoes with good traction to prevent slip-and-fall accidents. Because roofs tend to be damp with dew in the morning, it’s best to do the job later in the day when the sun is well up and the roof has had a chance to dry.
- Pay attention to power lines. Before cleaning out your gutters, take a good look at the overhead lines surrounding your house. If there are any nearby, be sure not to put yourself or any tools near them. Many power companies recommend staying a minimum of 10 feet away from all lines.
- Invest in gutter guards. Quality rain gutter guards like our Gutter Helmet® system eliminate the need for routine gutter cleaning by keeping gutters free of dirt, debris and leaves.
Contact Us to Learn How Gutter Helmet® Can Protect You
For information on cleaning gutters with gutter guards and to learn more about how our system can protect your home and your life, call Gutter Helmet today at (800) 824-3772!